Sunday 14 March 2010

The Edinburgh Endurance Derby

Photo: The Scotsman

About a month ago, I was in the company of a chap of the Hibernian persuasion and we set about putting the world to rights over a few pints of foaming ale. Together we had a drink in memory of Alan Gordon, a fine striker from the 1960s and 70s who played for both Hearts and Hibernian and we both had memories of the great man who was prolific in front of goal, not only for the Edinburgh clubs but also for Dundee United. The sad news of his tragically early death the evening before was very much in our thoughts. Naturally, my Hibernian associate was keen to point out that Gordon scored twice for his team in the Edinburgh derby of New Year’s Day 1973, a subject I moved swiftly away from. My memories of Alan Gordon in a maroon shirt are somewhat hazy as he left Tynecastle to join Dundee United in March 1969, just a few months after I attended my first ever Hearts game, a 3-1 win for the maroons at Brockville. The sad passing of one of Edinburgh’s favourite sons was the starting point of our now frequent discussions about Edinburgh derby games and how we tend to view them differently. However, one thing we both agreed on was we tend not to enjoy the occasion until the final whistle (apart from exceptional circumstances, more of which later) I wouldn’t blame you if you think that sounds a bit ridiculous but let me explain.

The build up to an Edinburgh derby - the anticipation, the frenzied atmosphere, the tension - is often more exciting than the game itself. There is so much at stake in these games, even the end of season affairs when the league campaign draws to a close and players and fans are thinking about their summer holidays. The bragging rights for the citizens of Scotland’s capital city are so important. When the game kicks off anticipation is replaced by nervous tension and - dare I say it - the fear of defeat. So much so I seldom enjoy a derby game until the final whistle blows and I can celebrate a victory over our city rivals (or not as the case may be) My Hibernian buddy is of the same opinion and he has even taken to staying away from Tynecastle as he feels the occasion isn’t conducive to his good health. However, there are one or two notable exceptions to our non-written rule.

My friend and I were both at Tynecastle for the aforementioned 1973 game. Not together, I hasten to add - a quarter of a century would pass before we became acquainted - but while Gary celebrated a famous win (I won’t mention the final score), my devastation was such it was the first time I cried at a football match. Being a Hearts fan, naturally it wouldn’t be the last. I was nearly two months away from my eleventh birthday but I felt - like thousands of other Hearts supporters that day - that my world had ended. It took a long time to get over it - in fact, nine months until Hibs next visited Tynecastle and were hammered by a Drew Busby inspired Hearts to the tune of 4-1.

There is, however, a more recent Edinburgh derby which I took particular enjoyment from well before the end of the ninety minutes. It’s incredible to think that nearly four years have passed since Hearts famous Scottish Cup semi-final triumph over Hibernian at Hampden Park. That was a curious season as both halves of the Old Firm were out of the Scottish Cup and the winners of the all Edinburgh semi-final would be hot favourites to lift the trophy as Second Division Gretna awaited in the final. The tension in the month leading up to the game was unbearable and a Sunday lunchtime kick-off at the National Stadium added to the discomfort. After a nervy start, Hearts soon stamped their authority on the game and ran out 4-0 winners - former Hibby Paul Hartley grabbing a memorable hat trick. It was the final before the final and we knew when Edgaras Jankauskas put Hearts three goals ahead in the latter stages of the game that victory was complete and we would be back at Hampden the following month to see the maroons lift the famous old trophy.

For the most part, however, the Edinburgh derby can be ninety minutes of high anxiety. I don’t doubt this Saturday will be any different - and for many supporters of Hearts and Hibernian a fraught Saturday lunchtime lies ahead!

2 comments:

  1. No need to worry. Whatever the score Hearts will always be the big team! The statistics of this game show that clearly! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I endured today's derby quite happily thank you!

    ReplyDelete