Sunday 6 December 2009

East Stirlingshire 1 Montrose 0

Irn Bru Scottish Third Division - Sunday, 6 December 2009 - Ochilview

Tired of the circus that Heart of Midlothian FC has become, my affection for East Stirlingshire has intensified in the last couple of years. I have gone to the now abandoned Firs Park on a few occasions and recently have gone to see The Shire at their new abode, Ochilview Park, Larbert which they share with Stenhousemuir. Earlier this season I witnessed a hugely enjoyable League Cup tie there when The Shire stormed back from three goals down to level the game with SPL side St. Mirren - only for the Paisley team's fitness to prove crucial as they ran out 6-3 winners.

Today I chose not to go and see Hearts latest shambolic performance and opted to see a bunch of hard-working lads who may not be the most talented in the land - they wouldn't be playing in the Third Division otherwise - but who will give their all.

And so it proved as East Stirlingshire maintained their promotion push with a hard-fought win over basement side Montrose. In difficult conditions it was a credit to both teams that they tried to play a passing game. The only goal came from the outstanding Paul Weaver who fired in a great effort after sixty-two minutes leaving the Gable Endies keeper with no chance.

I was impressed by not only Weaver but Craig Donaldson, Derek Ure, Eddie Forrest and substitute Marc McKenzie. The home support were vociferous, humourous and hugely entertaining throughout and despite the freezing cold weather - what else does one expect three weeks before Christmas - it was a very enjoyable afternoon.

I have a feeling I may soon become a conscript of McInally's Black and White Army!

2 comments:

  1. I must confess that had I lived still in the Edinburgh area I would be tempted to visit wee games quite often.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What you get with The Shire is eleven committed players - sadly, not always the case with Hearts

    ReplyDelete